Sunday, November 2, 2008

Happy Halloween 2008!

I have to say that this year's Halloween was one of the best-celebrated since Adam and I got married. Ever since we've been together, Halloween has been on a Sunday-Thursday night, making it very difficult to do any sort of celebrating what with the crazy weekly schedule. Of course, up until our move to Seattle, our schedules were so hectic that it was a miracle to actually spend an evening together!

However, the stars aligned correctly this year and Halloween happily fell on a Friday. I must say, I've always been a huge fan of the holiday, even though the last time I dressed up was my senior year of high school when a bunch of us dressed up as witches and attended a party hosted by Andrea Cox. Fun times! Anyway...it really is a fun holiday, and, having the maternal pangs that I so often do, I think the funnest part for me is to see what all the little kiddies are dressed up as.

So, since our weeks are still so busy, we decided that the perfect celebration would be to stay home and watch scary movies together with plenty of junk food to sustain us. Of course, we waited until the last possible moment to rent movies, but were lucky enough to find two that suit - Stephen King's "Salem's Lot" and "The Shining" - both of them made-for t.v. movie versions. I must say the movies were a perfect choice - I do not handle scary movies well, needing to opt instead for the more eerie, intriguing type of movie. No blood and gore for me, thank you very much! (Well, at least not the "slasher" type of genre - I always enjoy a good vampire flick.) Anyway, the night was well spent with hours of movies and junk food to our hearts' content.

One thing I did have to do was carve a jack-o-lantern. I haven't done it in years, and it was great fun to do! Having waited until Halloween to even buy the pumpkin (yet another example of my procrastination skills), we had to quickly carve the thing and light the candle before it got too dark outside. Happily, being the holiday, the pumpkins were on sale for only 9 cents a pound. Sweet! I had great plans to take pictures of the whole carving process as we've never done so together, but alas, the camera was out of batteries and we had no additional ones available. Strong Sad (as we named the pumpkin) is still sitting out on the porch, so if he happens to survive a few more days until I go shopping, I shall have to take a picture or two of him to share...

All in all, it was a great Halloween, despite the lack of candy corn for Adam. Of course, we didn't end up having any trick-or-treaters, so now we're stuck with a bowl full of candy. And I'm complaining because?...

Well, Halloween's over and Thanksgiving is on the way...isn't this time of year wonderful?

1 comment:

Janetta said...

Cute blog MiKail, thanks for letting us all know about it. I agree that fall and the holidays are a wonderful time of year. I'm glad you guys got to spend this Halloween together. Wasn't that nice that it fell at the end of the week?!