Merry Christmas to all from Forks, WA! Adam and I decided that for Christmas this year, we wanted to take a nice weekend vacation. This cute little town has become one of our favorite vacation spots, mostly due to it's proximity to some of the most beautiful scenery in Washington.
As I'm sure many of my readers are probably aware, this is the town that the "Twilight" series takes place in. I read the series shortly after Adam and I moved to Washington. One weekend, we decided to go explore a bit of the Olympic Peninsula, and I voiced my desire to at least go see the town of Forks. We ended up staying in Forks, and we've been hooked ever since. We always stay at the "Olympic Inn & Suites". The suite we usually get has a kitchen and a separate bedroom - seriously, it's bigger than our house! And the off-season prices are amazingly low! It's been so enjoyable to return and just relax. It's been snowing most of the day today, so we just sat inside and while Adam played lots of Madden on playstation, I did lots of reading and cross-stitching while occassionally glancing out the window at the forest of snow-covered pines just a few feet away. Ah...peace.
Although I feel a bit sheepish to admit it, I did bring my recently purchased "Twilight" books with me. I've read the books before, and decided it was finally time to make the purchase. I wanted to see how surreal it would be to be reading the books while actually in Forks. Honestly, not much of a difference. When I read, it's like a leave wherever I am and go somewhere else. So every time I put down the book, I'm like "Oh yeah, I'm in Forks". It was a fun experiment anyway.
So, enough of such things. As for other news, Christmas was great. We woke up and went straight to the presents - it was fun to open the presents from Adam's parents. It's always amusing to see what's in store. They always mix in a few strange and funny gifts with some truly awesome ones. It's great fun! I'd have to say my top favorites were from my sister-in-law and Adam. Kyrenia got me a reed diffuser set (for lack of a better word). It has a vase-style jar that holds the scent and the reeds, and then tw0 holders for tea-light candles on the side. These all sit on top of an elevated stone tablet. She knows me so well! I'm such a sucker for good smelly things that are also decorative! My top favorites from Adam were two comfy sweaters from Victoria's Secret, as well as a dinner harbor cruise! Yep - next weekend we will enjoy a two hour cruise of Elliot Bay (around downtown Seattle and the nearby items) while dining on a four-course menu. Sweet! I've always wanted to do that since we moved here...he's amazing!
On other good Christmas news, Adam and I were both able to visit our families a couple of weeks ago. He went to Boise where several family members were congregating at his brother's house, and I headed to SLC where my family met me. My siblings had no idea! It was so much fun to surprise them! Among the highlights of the weekend, we ate Cafe Rio (how I've missed it!), visited Clarke Planetarium (or, the Planetarrrium (the t is silent) as Adam, Dalton and I call it), and a walk to Temple Square and some hot chocolate and ice cream (huh?) at JB's afterwards. After my family left on Sunday, I was also able to spend some time with my mom and dad-in-law. The "daddyman" made me my favorite - his special recipe of spaghetti, which I LOVE! Then, we all watched a James Bond...sweet! It was a great weekend - far too short, but I'm glad I got to see everyone!
It's been a great Christmas - I hope everyone else's was just as wonderful! Now if only the snow would go away...seriously, the side roads here in Seattle feel like backroads in the mountains! I realize the city isn't equipped for this kind of weather, so I don't blame them (and I seriously get irritated at those who do), but I really hope it melts soon. Of course, that will bring in the calls at work from people with leaks...ugh. Oh well - it really is silly to complain about...it was kind of nice to have a white Christmas. Here's hoping that when we return home, at least the fallen power line in front of our house will be fixed...
Thing 2 of 642: A Houseplant is Dying...
12 years ago
3 comments:
I'm glad you had a great Christmas. Terrence and I hope to be able to live in Washington someday. It's such a beautiful state! By the way...you mentioned hot chocolate and ice cream like it's a funny thing. Last weekend our family did that exact same thing. Temple Square with hot chocolate and ice cream from JB's afterwards. Maybe that means I'm weird too:)
Makail Hi can you email me.buffyhalliday@yahoo.com
talk to ya later. Buffy
It sounds like you had an amazing Christmas! I can't believe how beautiful Forks is! I hope that someday I will be able to go there too.
Post a Comment