Monday, April 27, 2009

Finally, Our Own Dog! (Almost)

So, Adam and I have wanted to get a dog ever since we got married. However, due to the expense, full-time work and school, etc., we have not done so up to this point. We've been thinking about it a lot lately though, I think mostly because once we move in August, we'll be living in a pet-friendly place and a dog will be one of the first things on the list. Because of this reason, and because I have a great need to ooze my maternal instincts on something :), Adam has been looking online every now and again to see what availability is like...

We've been looking for a dachshund because we both grew up with this type of dog and we love them! We found a couple of really cute ones online, and that gave us hope that in August we will be able to find one at a reasonable price. Well, Saturday afternoon I got a call from my mom - she told me there is a guy in town that is trying to get rid of a 1 year old female dachshund because he is away at work all day and feels bad that she's by herself so much. When she found out, she thought of me and asked if we were interested. Absolutely! But, we can't take her until August. My parents, being the wonderful parents that they are, offered to take care of her until then. We are so grateful! And so thrilled! And so anxious for it to be August already!

Well, Adam and I stayed up quite late Saturday trying to think of a name that fit (we got to see her on webcam Saturday evening). Finally, after sleeping on it, we decided on Mikka (pronounced Meeka). After deciding on the name, we remembered that my family's dachshund (who is the same color, just fatter than Mikka) is named Meiya (Meeya). :) That should make it easy to remember, although it may confuse the dogs! Mikka really likes my mom and youngest brother Dalton, and she seems to be adapting well. I am sorry that she'll have to move to yet another home in August, and I'm sorry that my family will probably get attached to her, but we are both so thrilled to have her and that my family would do this for us!!! My hope is that she'll adjust quickly and well and that my family will too.

So, instead of going whale-watching for our anniversary this year, we are going to drive to Utah to pick Mikka up, see my new nephew (who will be born in July) and eat some Cafe Rio along the way. I think I'd take such an opportunity over whale-watching any day! So, we're biding our time until August - at least I will get to see her in May!

I'll post pictures when I can get some from my family...oh, she is so cute!

On a completely different note, can I just say how much I (well, we) love "The Daily Show with John Stewart"? It's amazing and wonderful to be entertained by someone who likes to make fun of the crazy stuff that people say and do, as well as someone who wraps up his show with a usually fantastic interview on an interesting subject! My list of books to read grows increasingly long as I watch his show! It's been the nightly routine for us for quite some time. Oh, and to my friend Bethany, I loved your post about the "tea parties" from that show! We couldn't stop laughing at that bit John Oliver did!

Well, I think that's all for today. The weather is steadily getting warmer and my garden is continuing to sprout. Although we're anxious to move on so that we can have our dog and have more space, it's been really nice living here with a yard, especially for me. I just love watching my little garden grow!

Oh, one more thing - I made bread this weekend! I tried to make it a few times when I still lived at my parents' house, but most often it ended in disaster. I was a bit nervous to make it again, but it worked out and I was so happy! I love the feeling of knowing how to do all sorts of things at home that will help me to take care of my family! What can I say? I love being a homemaker!

2 comments:

-::bee::- said...

Congratulations on your new addition to your family - I look forward to meeting her!

I would say that I get more of my news from the Daily Show than from anywhere. I love that he can present serious issues in ways that make you think but also can make you laugh.

Shanna said...

I'm so excited for you guys...I hope August gets here soon for you!